Gilwell Heritage - The Lone Scouts

The Lone Scouts

                                

Cleve-Cole-Lodge-at-Gilwell

  

 

               A TRIBUTE TO CLEVE COLE

 

 

       Cleve Cole Memorial Hut

 If you are wandering around Gilwell Park you may come across the building pictured above. This hut was erected in 1937 for the Lone Scout section. and named the Cleve Cole Memorial Hut, in memory of the late Lone Scout Commissioner. Just prior to Easter 1939 the finishing touches were put to this hut, paths were made, a flag pole erected on the parade ground and a picket fence completed. At Easter that year the Lone Scout camping ground was then officially opened by Mr. GWS Anderson  

                                                                 Cleve Cole

                                                                          Cleve Cole

 Cleveland John Melbourne Cole was Scoutmaster of the 1st North Fitzroy Troop when he visited the “Coming of Age” Arrowe Park Jamboree, England in 1929. After talking with the Canadian Lone Scouts there, he set about starting up the Victorian Lone Scout Section. He was appointed Commissioner for Lone Scouts in 1929 and the section gathered momentum under his leadership. Lone Scouts were those who were not able to attend regular scout meetings due to their location and were kept in touch with the movement by correspondence and by visits from Cleve and his leaders.
Tragically Cleve passed away in 1936 in an ill fated attempt to traverse the Bogong High Plains in winter.     

                                                                     Lone Scout Pickets

                                                                      Lone Scout Pickets

 The Lone Scout site at the 1934-35 Frankston Jamboree attracted much attention because the front fence consisting of ornamental pickets carved by members of the section. Even members who could not attend had sent their pickets to represent them. After the Jamboree the fence was transferred to the Lone Scout site at Gilwell Park where it made an impressive gateway.
The pickets became a tradition and each Lone Scout was expected carve one and send it to Gilwell to represent him at the Lone Scout campsite. At the annual Easter Camp or “Oordiyalyal” the picket fence at the gateway to the Lone Scout site was quite an attraction to visitors. The pickets also made an unusual gateway at subsequent Jamborees.
The picket on the right of the picture was carved by a leader at the time John "Kanga" Rebbechi. 
                                                                                                

 

Our thanks to John Rebbechi for assistance with much of this information