International - International Pen Friends
International Pen Friends
The International Pen-Pal Program offers a means of communicating with other Scouts abroad and provides an "international experience" without necessarily having to leave town. The traditional concept of writing a letter has now given way to members all over the world from Hong Kong to Peru to UK to Zimbabwe requesting links with Australian Scouts online!
As well as exchanging emails, international Pen-Pals can now talk to each other on Skype, share photos and videos using a number of online social networking tools, and link up with each other during JOTA-JOTI, the worlds largest international Scouting event. There's still room for snail mail too... badge swaps, anyone?
Who can have a Pen-Pal?
To be part of the Pen-Pal Program you must be a registered Scouts Australia Member, youth or adult. This will be verifies with your relevant state before we link you with an overseas pen-pal. Groups can also link with an equivalent Group or Section overseas.
What are the benefits of having an international pen-pal?
- Make a new friend from within our international family
- The Pen-Pal Program may help you complete an Award scheme requirement
- It allows you to learn about the life of another Scout in their part of the world
- The relationship with your Pen-Pal may last a lifetime
- Your whole Mob, Pack, Troop or Unit can get involved with an equivalent group and swap photos, program ideas and camp experiences.
- Leaders can exchange ideas and gain support from an international counterpart
Scouting has always promoted international peace, understanding and cooperation through encouraging contact between young people from various countries and cultures. These international connections help young people develop a broader awareness of the global community, and assist them in recognising and respecting the differences that exist between the nations and races of the world... all whilst enjoying the common bond of Scoutin